Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Georgia State University
Welcome to the page for the GSU Chemistry Department’s REU Site: Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Georgia State University, funded by the National Science Foundation. We are excited to have the opportunity to host outstanding undergraduate researchers this summer and hope that you might be one of them! Details about our 2018-2019 summer program can be found below.
- 10 week summer research program, May-August. Exact dates will be announced later.
- Summer research projects span the areas of chemistry and biochemistry
- Conduct research with world-renowned faculty
- Participate in professional development and field trips
- Stipend for the 10-week program
Representative Faculty and Possible Research Projects
Dr. Ning Fang – Optical Imaging of Nanomaterials.
Dr. Giovanni Gadda – Mechanistic Enzymology of Flavin Dependent Enzymes
Dr. Donald Hamelberg – Atomistic Level Description of Allosteric Mechanisms in Protein Function
Dr. Maged Henary – Development of Cyanine Dyes for Specific Detection of G-Quadruplex DNA and Differentiation between its Folding Patterns.
Dr. Ivaylo N. Ivanov – Integrative Modeling of PCNA Assemblies Engaged in Genome Duplication
Dr. Suri S. Iyer – Development of Diagnostics for Pathogens
Dr. Hamed Laroui – Role of CD98 Glycoprotein in Intestinal Inflammation
Dr. Ming Luo – Replication mechanism of negative strand RNA viruses.
Dr. Suazette Mooring – Research in Chemical Education.
Dr. Gregory M. K. Poon – Direct activators of transcription factors in hematologic malignancies.
Dr. Shahab Shamsi – Designing Monolithic Columns for Separation of Kynurenine Pathway metabolites.
Dr. Binghe Wang – Medicinal Chemistry and Development of Biosensors
Dr. Gangli Wang – Nanoelectrochemistry
Dr. Jenny Yang – Integration of calcium signaling by calcium-sensing receptor
- Applicants must be sophomores or juniors
- Preference will be given to students from community colleges and non-Ph.D. granting institutions in the Atlanta area
- Application: Apply here
- Application Deadline: March 30, 2018!
Dr. Suri S. Iyer
Department of Chemistry
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3965
Atlanta, Georgia 30302-3965