Graduate Director, Professor
B.Sc. (1989): University of Milan, Italy
Ph.D. (1995) : University of Milan, Italy
Postdoctoral Research Associate (1995-2000) : Texas A&M University
Dr. Giovanni Gadda
Department of Chemistry
Georgia State University
P.O. Box 3965
Atlanta, Georgia 30302-3965
Department Office Phone: 404-413-5500
|Lab Phone: ||404-413-5539|
Natural Science Center|
The research interest of my group is in the general area of the mechanistic enzymology of redox enzymes, with a specific interest in flavin-dependent enzymes. The long-term objectives are to understand how enzymes can influence the energetics of reaction intermediates and transition states. These aspects are being studied by steady state kinetics and rapid reaction techniques using pH, viscosity and kinetic isotope effects, as well as mutagenesis and X-ray crystallography.
Several enzymes are currently being investigated. These include:
- Arthrobacter globiformis choline oxidase
- Aspergillus fumigatus choline oxidase
- Neurospora crassa nitronate monooxygenase (formerly 2-nitropropane dioxygenase)
- Williopsis saturnus nitronate monooxygenase (formerly 2-nitropropane dioxygenase)
- Homo sapiens glycolate oxidase
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa D-arginine dehydrogenase
- Trametes ochracea pyranose 2-oxidase
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa propionate 3-nitronate monooxygenase
- Halomonas elongata choline dehydrogenase
- Escherichia coli choline dehydrogenase
Awards & Honors:
Organizer, Third Southeast Enzyme Conference, 2012
Organizer, Second Southeast Enzyme Conference, 2011
Organizing Committee, Third International Conference on Cofactors, 2011
Organizing Committee, 17th International Symposium on Flavins and Flavoproteins, 2011
Elected Alternate Councilor of the Division of Biological Chemistry of the ACS, 2011-2013
Founder, Organizer and Program Chair, First Southeast Enzyme Conference, 2010
Herty 2011 Medal Award Selection Committee, ACS-GA Section, 2010
Guest Editor for Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2009
Herty 2010 Medal Award Selection Committee, ACS-GA Section, 2009
Herty 2009 Medal Award Selection Committee, ACS-GA Section, 2008
Organizing Committee, “Second Interdisciplinary Conference on Vitamins, Coenzymes and Biofactors”, 2008
Co-organizer, “Strategies in Enzymatic Oxidation Catalysis” Symposium at 234th ACS National Meeting, 2007
GSU Outstanding Faculty Achievement Award, 2007
ISRN Biochemistry (2012-present)
International Review of Biophysical Chemistry (2009-present)
Biochemistry Insights (2008-present)
Enzyme Research (2009-present)
Open Enzyme Inhibition Journal (2008-present)
Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics (2005-present)
Twenty most recent publications (out of 67):
- Yuan, H., Xin, Y. Hamelberg, D., and Gadda, G. (2011) Insights on the Mechanism of Amine Oxidation Catalyzed by D-Arginine Dehydrogenase Through pH and Kinetic Isotope Effects, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 133, 18957-18965.
- Tang, S., Wong, H.C., Wang, Z.M., Hyuang, Y., Zou, J., Zhuo, Y., Pennati, A., Gadda, G., Delbono, O., and Yang, J.J. (2012) Design and Application of a Class of Sensors to Monitor Ca2+ Dynamics in High Ca2+ Concentration Cellular Compartments, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 108, 16265-16270.
- Fu, G., Yuan, H., Wang, S., Gadda, G., and Weber, I. (2011) Atomic Resolution Structure of an N(5) Flavin Adduct in D-Arginine Dehydrogenase, Biochemistry, 50, 6292-6294.
- Yuan, H., and Gadda, G. (2011) Importance of a Serine Proximal to the C(4a)-N(5) Flavin Atoms for Hydride Transfer in Choline Oxidase, Biochemistry, 50, 770-779.
- Pennati, A., and Gadda, G. (2011) Stabilization of an Intermediate in the Oxidative Half Reaction of Human Liver Glycolate Oxidase, Biochemistry, 50, 1-3.
- Yuan, H., Fu, G., Brooks, P., Weber, I., and Gadda, G. (2010) Steady State Kinetic Mechanism and Reductive Half-Reaction of D-Arginine Dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Biochemistry, 49, 9542-9550.
- Fu, G., Yuan, H., Li, C., Lu, C., Gadda, G., and Weber, I. (2010) Conformational Changes and Substrate Recognition in Pseudomonas aeruginosa D-Arginine Dehydrogenase, Biochemistry, 49, 8538-8545.
- Finnegan, S., Yuan, H., Wang, Y.F., Orville, A.M., Weber, I., and Gadda, G. (2010) Structural and Kinetic Studies on the Ser101Ala Variant of Choline Oxidase: Catalysis by Compromise, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 510, 207-213.
- Quaye, O., Nguyen, T., Gannavaram, S., Pennati, A., and Gadda, G. (2010) Rescuing of the hydride transfer reaction in the Glu312Asp variant of choline oxidase by a substrate analogue, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 499, 1-5.
- Finnegan, S., Agniswamy, J., Weber, I., and Gadda, G. (2010) Role of Val464 in the Flavin Oxidation Reaction Catalyzed by Choline Oxidase, Biochemistry, 49, 2952-2961.
- Rungsrisuriyachai, K., and Gadda, G. (2010) Role of Asn510 in the Relative Timing of Substrate Bond Cleavages in the Reaction Catalyzed by Choline Oxidase, Biochemistry, 49, 2483-2490.
- Gadda, G., and Francis, K. (2010) Nitronate Monooxygenase, a Model for Anionic Flavin Semiquinone Intermediates in Oxidative Catalysis, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 493, 53-61.
- Gadda, G. (2010) Guest Editor’s Introduction, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 493, 1-2.
- Pennati, A., and Gadda, G. (2009) Involvement of Ionizable Groups in Catalysis of Human Liver Glycolate Oxidase, J. Biol. Chem., 284, 31214-31222.
- Xin, Y., Gadda, G., and Hamelberg, D. (2009) Cluster of Hydrophobic Residues Controls the Entrance to the Active Site of Choline Oxidase, Biochemistry, 48, 9599-9605.
- Quaye, O., and Gadda, G. (2009) Effect of a Conservative Mutation of an Active Site Residue Involved in Substrate Binding on the Hydride Tunneling Reaction Catalyzed by Choline Oxidase, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 489, 10-14.
- Francis, K., and Gadda, G. (2009) Kinetic Evidence for an Anion Binding Pocket in the Active Site of Nitronate Monooxygenase, Bioorg. Chem., 37, 167-172.
- Quaye, O., Cowins, S., Gadda, G. (2009) Contribution of Flavin Covalent Linkage with Histidine 99 to the Reaction Catalyzed by Choline Oxidase, J. Biol. Chem., 284, 16990-16997.
- Chen, N., Zou, J., Wang, S., Ye, Y., Huang, Y., Gadda, G., and Yang, J. (2009) Designing Protease Sensors for Real-time Imaging of Trypsin Activation in Pancreatic Cancer Cells, Biochemistry, 48, 3519-3526.
- Francis, K., and Gadda, G. (2009) Inflated Kinetic Isotope Effects in the Branched Mechanism of Neurospora crassa 2-Nitropropane Dioxygenase, Biochemistry, 48, 2403-2410.
- Advanced Topics in Biochemistry – Principles and Techniques of Practical Biochemistry (Chem 8620 – offered to PhD students in Chemistry and Biology): Fall 2009.
- Biochemistry I (CHEM 4600/6600 – offered to undergraduate and graduate students): Fall 2000; Spring 2001; Fall 2001; Fall 2002; Fall 2003; Spring 2004; Spring 2005; Fall 2006.
- Biochemistry I (CHEM 6600 - offered to graduate students): Fall 2007; Fall 2008; Fall 2010; Fall 2011.
- Enzymology (CHEM 4630/6630; BIOL 4630/6630 – offered to undergraduate and graduate students): Spring 2002; Spring 2003; Fall 2004; Fall 2005; Spring 2007; Spring 2008; Spring 2009; Spring 2010; Spring 2011, Spring 2012. This course has been proposed and developed by Dr. Giovanni Gadda and has been offered at Georgia State University for the first time in the Spring Semester 2002.
- Advanced Research Methods (CHEM 4900-004/6900-004 - offered to undergraduate and graduate students): Spring 2005; Fall 2005; Spring 2006; Fall 2006; Spring 2007; Fall 2007; Spring 2008; Fall 2008; Spring 2009; Fall 2009; Spring 2010; Summer 2010; Fall 2010; Spring 2011; Summer 2011; Fall 2011, Spring 2012.
- From Fall 2000 to current: numerous times for:
- Directed Study in Chemistry (CHEM 8900 - offered to graduate students).
- Directed Research in Chemistry (CHEM 8910 - offered to graduate students).
- Thesis Research (CHEM 8999 - offered to graduate students).
- Dissertation Research (CHEM 9999 - offered to graduate students).
- Nonthesis Paper Writing (CHEM 8888 - offered to graduate students).
- Chemical Research (CHEM 4950 - offered to undergraduate students).
- Chemistry Laboratory IVA (CHEM 4160 - offered to undergraduate students).
- Chemistry Laboratory IVB (CHEM 4170 - offered to undergraduate students).
- Undergraduate Research in Biology (BIOL 4910 - offered to undergraduate students).
- Instructor at the NSF Center for Workshop in the Chemical Sciences – Molecular Genetics and Protein Structure/Function Techniques, Georgia State University August 2001, August 2002 (http://chemistry.gsu.edu/CWCS/genetics.html).